- 1 pack of pesto
- 500g mussels , scrubbed, debearded, from sustainable sources
- 50ml white wine
- 1 small shallot
- Toasted thick slices of wholemeal bread
- 150g fresh or frozen peas
- 200g cherry tomatoes , on the vine
- Check the mussels – if any are open, just give them a little tap and they should close; if they don’t they’re no good, so chuck those ones away.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and pop under the grill.
- Fry off shallots until brown stir in the pesto. Turn the heat under the pan up to full whack and tip in the mussels.
- Add the wine and peas. Cover with a lid and leave to steam for 3 to 4 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.
- When all the mussels have opened and are soft and juicy, they’re ready. If any remain closed, simply throw those away. Divide the mussels, tomatoes, peas and all those gorgeous juices between two large bowls, and serve with the toast on the side for some epic dunking.